Upgrading your ScreenSteps Site Template from the 2011 Template to the 2015 Template
In order to use new features in ScreenSteps that were released in 2016, you will need to upgrade the content template used for your ScreenSteps site from the 2011 template to the 2015 template. This article will explain why you should make this change and how to do it.
The 2015 site content template offers many more customization options over the 2011 template. Below are two screenshots comparing a typical site with the 2011 and 2015 content templates.
Benefits of the 2015 template
The 2015 content template has many advantages including:
- Ability to display content in the new ScreenSteps web and desktop editor (coming in 2016)
- Ability to set large or small icons for manuals in your table of contents
- Easier customization of site colors and logo
- Easier custom template modifications of site header and footer (on plans that allow custom templates)
- Optimized responsive layout for display on mobile devices
Benefits of the new article editor coming in 2016
The new article editor will offer many enhancements including:
- Table support
- Styling of text blocks for tips, warnings, alerts and info
- Multiple images per step
- Multiple text blocks per step
- Expandable and collapsable sections
You are going to love the new editor, but you can only use it if you upgrade your site content template to the 2015 template.
If a site is connected to a target service (e.g. Zendesk), you will not need to update the template.
Select your site from the dropdown
Select Site Template
Preview and publish the site design
You will be able to preview the site design, adjust color settings, etc. As you make changes, select Preview Changes to see the changes.
Once you are done you can select Publish Changes to activate your changes.
With the 2011 content template your entire custom template was stored in one file.
With the 2015 content template your customizations are broken up in the separate sections to make editing the content much easier:
Migrate your custom template
1.1. Go to Account Management > Custom Templates > Edit
1.2. Copy the template content
Go to your site in the admin interface
Select Edit Site Design
Go to the advanced editor
You will want to split up your content into the different sections.
Look at this code example to see instructions on how to split up your template:
First preview your changes.
Then publish them.