This article contains information on the V1 XML API which has been deprecated. For docs on the V2 JSON API please see here:
ScreenSteps Live uses a REST API to make it very easy to get access to all of the manuals and lessons you have placed in spaces. It is important to understand that the API does not give you access to the admin area of your ScreenSteps Live account, only to the spaces you publish.
Example use cases
Some examples of how you might use the API are:
- Display your ScreenSteps articles (lessons) on your own website
- Display your ScreenSteps articles behind a login on your own website
- Provide contextual help inside of your web application
- Integrate your ScreenSteps articles into a 3rd party application such as a help desk or knowledge base
- Display your ScreenSteps articles inside of your desktop application
Before you can access any of your articles you will need to put them into a manual in a site. After that you simply request the url for the asset you are looking for. The base url for all of your requests will be your account url at ScreenSteps, e.g. http://account.screenstepslive.com. Here are some examples:
When searching sites and manuals you can also optionally pass in a tag parameter in the query string to restrict the search to a specific tag.
All of these requests will return an XML representation of the data you are requesting.