This article will give you an overview of Courses in ScreenSteps.
Courses are included in our Enterprise plan and and can be added on to our Standard and Advanced plans. If you don't see Courses in your account and are interested in adding them, reach out to us.
ScreenSteps Courses let you:
- Present unique content that has been created exclusively for a course
- Present a series of embedded ScreenSteps articles that are grouped together
- Present a combination of unique content and embedded articles (see below)
- Track viewing and completion of the included content
When a user views a Course in ScreenSteps the following will happen:
- They will see all of the course steps in the left sidebar, with the current step highlighted
- Their progress will be tracked as they mark each step completed
- Once they mark all steps in a course as complete, the course will be marked complete
Example of the Course Viewer
ScreenSteps is not a full-featured LMS. The Courses feature is designed as a light-weight LMS to assist new employee and customer training. It is not designed to be used for compliance training and does not support SCORM import or export.
ScreenSteps Courses are best used in the following situations:
Training new employees or customers
- Pre-instructor led training courses that prepare employees or customers for a training event
- New user onboarding courses to introduce users to a concept or software platform
Training existing employees or customers
- New feature/system rollouts
Courses can include any content that can be included in an article or you can embed entire articles from your ScreenSteps knowledge base into a step. Here are some common questions about course content:
Can I include quizzes?
No we do not offer a quiz feature, but many of our customers embed forms or quizzes from other services using an HTML embed content block.
Can I include video?
Yes. But it will need to be hosted on a 3rd party service. You can insert the video embed code using an HTML embed content block in an article.
A user must be logged into your ScreenSteps site in order to view a course. Anonymous users can not view courses. Therefore, if you have a public site, you'll still need to add users to your site in order for them to interact with your courses.
Each course can have its own enrollment settings. You can allow all users in your site to self-enroll in a course, or you can restrict it to specific users that you assign to that course. For more information, see our article on How to Add Users to Your Course.
Courses will appear in a separate section of your published site. When a user visits the courses page they will see several sections:
- Available courses
- Courses that they have started but not completed (In Progress)
- Completed courses
For more information on organizing your courses, see our article on How to Reorder Your Courses.
Courses can be grouped into collections. Collections allow you assign a group of courses to a user all at once. For example, if you hire a new employee you may have 4 or 5 courses you would like them to complete. You could create a "New Employee" collection and then assign the new employee to that collection.
For more information, see our article on How to Use Course Collections to Group Courses Together.