Documentation has to be one of the most boring subjects you can think of. Believe us, we know. We have been trying to get people excited about documentation for a very long time. As you begin to talk about documentation you can literally see people's eyes roll back in their head.
But that is because they haven't created or used great documentation. Great documentation can transform your business.
Bad documentation at best gets ignored and at worst causes your employees, co-workers and customers to shed tears of frustration.
We want to help you create killer documentation.
You have probably come to this site because you have a documentation problem. Maybe it's that you are buried in customer support requests, maybe it's that your business is running inefficiently because you haven't standardized and documented your procedures. Regardless, you have a problem. We're going to help you solve it.
As you start out you may be in one of the current situations:
- You have no documentation at all
- You have some documentation but it is locked up in Word documents and no one ever reads it
- You have never created documentation before
- You have created some documentation but aren't happy with the results you are getting
- You have no idea what you need to document or how to do it
After you go through this site you will know the following:
- Exactly what to document and how to do it
- How to organize your documentation so that it gets used
- How to publish your documentation so that it is usable by your employees and customers
- How to keep your documentation up to date
If you follow the steps laid out in this site you will be able to create a documentation site that increased productivity throughout your entire organization. And you will do it with a minimal investment of time and effort.
Great documentation can help your business in a variety of ways depending on how you are using it.
If you run a business you will see the following benefits:
- Improved on-boarding for new employees
- Improved adoption of new technology and tools in your business
- Decrease in mistakes because you have standardized your procedures and workflows
- An increased ability to delegate and distribute tasks without having to do a lot of hand holding
- Decrease in time spent answering "how do I?" questions
If you create and market a software product you will see these benefits:
- Decrease in the number of customer support requests
- Decrease in the time it takes to resolve customer support requests
- Increased product adoption
- Increased customer satisfaction
The benefits are big. And our goal is to help you achieve them.
The goal of this site is to give you concepts you need to succeed as well as the step-by-step instructions you need to implement those concepts. In this site we will:
- Introduce key documentation secrets that our customers have used to have massive success with their documentation efforts. What do we mean by massive success? We mean decreased support requests, increased customer satisfaction, increased employee productivity. We mean that they create documentation that is so good that their customers and employees rave about it.
- Provide a step-by-step guide for getting started with your documentation. Concepts are useless unless you can implement them. We help you do that.
- Provide examples of how to expand your documentation effort after you get going.
Obviously we would love it if you purchased our products and services. But the information on this site is free for your to use with any tool or system you prefer. We have created software documentation tools and an online knowledge base system that make it very easy to adopt this approach to documentation and we hope that you will check them out. But, regardless of the products you use, you will get a lot of great information by going through this site.